Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Arenas suspended indefinitely

NBA commissioner David Stern indefinitely suspended Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas without pay on Wednesday. Arenas is averaging 22.6 points and 7.2 assists this season for Washington. Arenas who just turned 28 on Wednesday is making $16.2 million this season in the second year of his six-year $111million contract. Each game missed will cost him $147,000 in salary. According to the collective bargaining agreement, players suspended for more than 12 games can appeal the ban before an independent arbitrator. Following the two hour interview, Arenas released a statement reiterating that he brought four unloaded guns to the Verizon Center to store in his locker and keep them away from his children at the home. He also apologized for displaying the guns in a "misguided effort to play a joke on a teammate" during Arenas reportedly had a dispute with Wizard guard Javaris Crittenton over a gambling dept. Arenas said: "I feel very badly that my actions have caused the NBA to suspend me, but I understand why the league took this action. I put the NBA in a negative light and let down my teammates and our fans. I am very sorry for doing that."

I don't understand why athletes and celebrities are treated differently from the average Joe. There no different from us, yes they make lots of money and are famous but there still a regular human being. So in this situation I think that Gilbert Arenas needs to suffer some serious consequences so that he shows the rest of the world that we are taking things like this seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment